Software Engineer – Quantum application development tools
Join QuTech and support our organization in achieving our mission: developing cutting-edge quantum technology.
What will you do?
We are looking for a talented Software Engineer to join our team in the Quantum Internet Division at QuTech. Do you have extensive experience with Python? Do you thrive in a diverse and exciting environment? Then this role is for you!
As a Software Engineer, you will become part of a multicultural and ambitious team, focused on the development of one of QuTech demonstrator platforms, the Quantum Network Explorer (QNE) – www.quantum-network.com
To make this happen, your tasks will be to:
- Keep QNE-backend SW tools (e.g. NetQASM) up-to-date and mature them to become professional SW development tools.
- Add new features to the tools, make them more robust (error/exception handling) and easier to debug.
- Create necessary documentation, tutorials, and examples.
- Make sure that design and implementation of QNE backend software stays aligned with research efforts in QuTech’s Quantum Internet Division.
- Coordinate with developments in other software engineering teams to guarantee overall system integrity.
- Help to support our QNE users by proving answers to technical and domain-related questions.
- Provide support with community engagement e.g. through hackathons and workshops .
You will be part of a cross-functional team that drives the development of QNE and that is closely connected to many research and engineering activities within QuTech. You will be working closely with other software development teams. This is a highly collaborative position in which you will play a key role in making our full-stack demonstrator a success. You will be sitting at our QuTech office at the heart of the vibrant campus of TU Delft.
Who are we looking for?
We’re looking for an enthusiastic, independent colleague with a ‘can do’ attitude. You’re a team player, a strong developer and you are looking to work in a welcoming and dynamic environment at the forefront of research and development. You have a Master Degree in Computer Science with a minimum of 2 years’ experience in Python.
Furthermore, you have:
- Experience in object-oriented design/programming (2+ years)
- Experience in SW development tools, such as compilers, debuggers, interpreters
- Previous experience with quantum physics or quantum software development tools
- Previous experience with programming computer networks, TCP/IP, sockets
- Desire to work in an Agile development environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to reason with researchers, team player
What do we offer?
As a Software Engineer at QuTech you will have a unique role in a dynamic, informal, and fast paced working environment. You will be employed by TU Delft.
You will get:
- A position for 32 to 38 hours per week (0.8 – 1.0 fte).
- An employment contract for one year with a view to a permanent position.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility to work hybrid (home/office).
- A salary according to the CAO Dutch Universities scale 10 to 11 depending on your working experience (from € 2960 gross to €5439 gross per month based on 38 hours per week), plus 8% vacation allowance and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- Up to 41 vacation days per year based on full-time employment.
- An excellent fringe benefits package (including a pension plan and partially paid parental leave) that you can put together yourself through a flexible choice package.
- Plenty of opportunities to follow trainings and courses.
For more information visit working at TU Delft.
Where will you be working?
QuTech is a mission-driven research institute of TU Delft and TNO. Together we’re working on a radical new technology with world-changing potential. We’re developing scalable prototypes of a quantum computer and a secure quantum internet.
We believe quantum technology will be a game changer in many social and economic sectors – including health, agriculture, climate, and security. To achieve our ambitious goals, we bring scientists, engineers, and industry together in an inspiring environment, with plenty of room for ambition, entrepreneurship, and innovation. In this role you will specifically work for the Quantum internet Division.
TU Delft is an international top university that combines science, engineering, and design. TU Delft stands for world-class education, research, and innovation to address challenges in energy, climate, mobility, health, and the digital society. Generations of Delft engineers have proven to be entrepreneurial problem solvers in business and societal contexts.
At QuTech and TU Delft, we embrace diversity as one of our core values and are actively committed to being a university and workplace where you can feel at home and thrive. We value diverse perspectives and qualities because we believe this makes our work more innovative, the TU Delft community more vibrant and the world a fairer place.
Have you become enthusiastic about this vacancy? Then apply directly via the ‘Apply’ button before the 30 of April. We look forward to receiving your motivation and resume.
- Please bear in mind that A pre-Employment screening can be part of the selection procedure.
- Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.
For more information about this position, please contact Önder Karpat, at QuTech at O.Karpat@tudelft.nl
For questions about the procedure, please contact our Senior Recruiter Audrey Monje at A.Monje@tudelft.nl.
Get a glimpse of QuTech!
Are you curious about QuTech, our labs where we work on the development of quantum internet and quantum computers or our awesome colleagues? Watch this video and get a glimpse of QuTech!