Join us as a Software Engineer to support cutting edge research quantum technology, by driving up the quality of QuTech’ s software and cloud infrastructure.
Your responsibilities as a software engineer at QuTech will range from advising our 200+ scientists on software development best practices to developing and building the infrastructure by code that enables their research. That’s how you will contribute to our mission to develop quantum technology and build scalable prototype quantum computers and a safe quantum internet. Software and infrastructure are crucial to quantum technology. And quantum technology will accelerate game-changing developments such as quantum key distribution for communication security and healthcare modelling applications.
At QuTech, our researchers are supported by project teams of software engineers. Developing software is part and parcel of research into quantum technologies and you will be the expert designing and building the environment enabling their work. You will maintain and further develop our cloud and virtual machine infrastructure, and custom-built software solutions. You will also maintain our quantum demonstrators with which we make the technology accessible to a wider audience. In addition, you will apply continuous integration to new code, and help us develop and embed continuous deployment, securing backwards compatibility.
An important part of your role is creating software quality awareness among our researchers. You will, e.g. advise them on and support them with the use of software repositories and other best practices to improve aspects of software development, resulting in high-quality code that others can review and use. You will also develop training materials and give workshops as part of the onboarding of new researchers. Joining three fellow software engineers of our Software Development Support Team, you share our ambition to create a high-quality software and infrastructure landscape. We foster an open, friendly and supportive atmosphere. And being part of a learning organization means you will get all the training and coaching you need to develop your role and career.
Learn more about QuTech
- You are an experienced software engineer who enjoys working in agile teams and achieving meaningful results in a constantly changing scientific environment.
- You have extensive experience in software development, covering the software development lifecycle in Linux and Windows environments, and database management.
- You thrive on providing a wide range of services, including maintenance, development support and operations automation. And you harness your knowledge of code quality measures to secure and raise the level of software and infrastructure quality.
- You have experience with tools such as GCP, Kubernetes, Terraform, Ansible, Gitlab CI/CD and/or Docker. And you are willing to learn what you don’t know yet.
- You are well-versed in Python, software design methods such as UML, and object-oriented programming.
- You communicate well with scientists and engineers, convincing them of your approach, advice and solutions.
- You have a good command of written and spoken English as you’ll be working in an international environment. And you are in possession of an EU passport or work permit.
Conditions of employment
As a Software Engineer at QuTech you will have a unique role in a dynamic, informal, and fast paced working environment. You will be employed by TU Delft.
You will get:
- A position for 32 to 38 hours per week (0.8 – 1.0 fte).
- An employment contract for one year with a view to a permanent position.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility to work hybrid (home/office).
- A salary according to the CAO Dutch Universities scale 10 to 11 depending on your working experience (from € 4332 gross to € 5929 gross per month based on 38 hours per week), plus 8% vacation allowance and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- Up to 41 vacation days per year based on full-time employment.
- An excellent fringe benefits package (including a pension plan and partially paid parental leave) that you can put together yourself through a flexible choice package.
- Plenty of opportunities to follow trainings and courses.
For more information visit working at TU Delft.
QuTech is a mission-driven research institute of TU Delft and TNO. Together we’re working on a radical new technology with world-changing potential. We’re developing scalable prototypes of a quantum computer and a secure quantum internet.
We believe quantum technology will be a game changer in many social and economic sectors – including health, agriculture, climate, and security. To achieve our ambitious goals, we bring scientists, engineers, and industry together in an inspiring environment, with plenty of room for ambition, entrepreneurship, and innovation.
Availability of adequate software is a key enabler for performing QuTech’s research. This software includes scientific instrument control technologies, simulation of quantum phenomena and quantum computers, as well as web front-end and back-end development, and infrastructure software.
To optimally support its research, our Software Development Support Team (SDST) maintains QuTech’s Cloud infrastructure, demonstrator software and provides technical and non-technical support on software development to the different divisions. The SDST is staffed with 3-4 experienced software engineers who cooperate closely with the scientists and (software) engineers in the divisions to deliver high quality software products.
TU Delft is an international top university that combines science, engineering, and design. TU Delft stands for world-class education, research, and innovation to address challenges in energy, climate, mobility, health, and the digital society. Generations of Delft engineers have proven to be entrepreneurial problem solvers in business and societal contexts.
At QuTech and TU Delft, we embrace diversity as one of our core values and are actively committed to being a university and workplace where you can feel at home and thrive. We value diverse perspectives and qualities because we believe this makes our work more innovative, the TU Delft community more vibrant and the world a fairer place.
For more information about this position, please contact Fer Grooteman, Project Manager at QuTech at F.J.Grooteman@tudelft.nl
For questions about the procedure, please contact our Senior Recruiter Audrey Monje at A.Monje@tudelft.nl.
- Please bear in mind that A pre-Employment screening can be part of the selection procedure.
Have you become enthusiastic about this vacancy? Then apply directly via the ‘Apply’ button.! We look forward to receiving your motivation and resume.
Get a glimpse of QuTech!
Are you curious about QuTech, our labs where we work on the development of quantum internet and quantum computers or our awesome colleagues? Watch this video and get a glimpse of QuTech!