Optics Technical Engineer
QuTech is a mission-driven research institute run jointly by Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) and the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research (TNO). Together, we work on a radically new technology with world-changing potential, developing scalable prototypes of a quantum computer and an intrinsically safe quantum internet.
We are creating the quantum future and we believe that quantum technology will be a game changer in many social and economic sectors – including health, agriculture, climate and safety. To achieve our ambitious goals, we bring together scientists, engineers and industry in an inspiring environment, with plenty of space for ambition, entrepreneurship and innovation.
Our research and engineering activities are conducted in three divisions: Quantum Computing, Quantum Internet and Qubit Research. Our divisions and support teams include 220 FTE and over 300 dedicated people.
We are now looking for an Optics Technical Engineer to join our team!
Do you have already experience as an Optics Engineer or have you worked with (quantum-)optical setups as a researcher? Are you looking for a new challenge ? This role is for you!
Your responsibilities as an Optics Technical Engineer.
As an Optics Technical Engineer, you will play an important role in QuTech’s research ambitions to realize a quantum computer and quantum internet by providing expertise, guidance, support and ideas at a high level for the quantum-optical labs.
On daily basis, you will provide hands-on support in the labs to research being carried out by Master and PhD students and postdoctoral researchers. You will also bring new solutions and ensure knowledge transfer both by supplementing and liaising with QuTech’s existing pool of technicians and engineers, and by supporting the labs of the experimental quantum-optics groups.
You will play an important role in QuTech by:
- Acting as an expert advisor and discussion partner for the researchers in areas such as laser systems, laser locking, and advanced optical measurement techniques
- Designing and maintaining certain optical setups, including fulfilling safety regulations
- Acting as QuTech’s laser safety officer
- Training of students/postdocs in standard procedures encountered in an optics lab, including alignment, creation and measurement of optical signals, as well as laser safety
- Modifying optical setups to increase their technological readiness level
- Helping with selecting, ordering and installing new devices
The successful candidate must be an expert in key areas, have significant knowledge in most other areas, and the capacity and willingness to fill any gaps in the remaining areas (for which QuTech can provide the training).
- You hold at least a technical or MSc degree in a relevant field. Relevant working experience (for instance as a PhD student or an optical engineer) is an advantage.
- You have expertise in laser systems, laser safety, bulk optics, fibre optics, non-linear optics and/or quantum optics, if possible gained by working in a research laboratory in (quantum) optical science or technology.
- You are passionate about optics and science and want to contribute to realizing ground-breaking science and technology
- You work independently, are a pro-active, hands-on person, and a trouble shooter
- You are flexible and can thrive in a fast pace working environment
- You have good people skills, you are a team player, and you have experience in training others
- You have sufficient understanding of electronics and software (e.g. Labview or Python) to effectively work together with electrical engineers and programmers within QuTech
- Excellent communication skills in English (Written and spoken)
- In possession of a working permit or EU Passport
Conditions of employment
The Optics Technical Engineer is a 0.6 – 1.0 FTE role, with a minimum of 24h hours per week and a maximum of 38 hours per week. Appointment is for one year, with the option to become structural. The UFO profile is Technicus O&O-gebonden – 02 with a full-time salary based on VSNU-CAO Scale 10 (salary min 2.846 and max 4490 Euros gross per month on a fulltime basis). The actual salary will be based on your knowledge and relevant work-experience.
TU Delft/QuTech offers a customizable compensation package, an attractive pension scheme, holiday allowance, generous holidays, 13th month pay (paid as a pro-rata bonus in December), a discount for health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. An International Children’s Centre offers our employees childcare and an international primary school. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (VSNU-CAO). Dutch citizenship or a European working permit is required to apply
Delft University of Technology is built on strong foundations. As creators of the world-famous Dutch waterworks and pioneers in biotech, TU Delft is a top international university combining science, engineering and design. It delivers world class results in education, research and innovation to address challenges in the areas of energy, climate, mobility, health and digital society. For generations, our engineers have proven to be entrepreneurial problem-solvers, both in business and in a social context.
At TU Delft we embrace diversity as one of our core values and we actively engage to be a university where you feel at home and can flourish. We value different perspectives and qualities. We believe this makes our work more innovative, the TU Delft community more vibrant and the world more just. Together, we imagine, invent and create solutions using technology to have a positive impact on a global scale. That is why we invite you to apply. Your application will receive fair consideration.
Challenge. Change. Impact!
QuTech is an inclusive organization: we believe that diversity enhances the quality of our work and hence actively promote an inclusive policy.
For information about this position, you can contact Tim Taminiau at T.H.Taminiau@tudelft.nl,
With questions concerning the procedure contact Audrey Monje, our Senior Recruiter at A.Monje@tudelft.nl.
Please note that we will start the recruitment process as soon as we receive applications.
Get a glimpse of QuTech!
Are you curious about QuTech, our labs where we work on the development of quantum internet and quantum computers or our awesome colleagues? Watch this video and get a glimpse of QuTech!