DevOps Engineer/Software Engineer
Come join QuTech and create the Quantum Future!
QuTech is a mission-driven research institute run jointly by Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) and the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research (TNO). Together, we work on a radically new technology with world-changing potential, developing scalable prototypes of a quantum computer and an intrinsically safe quantum internet.
We are creating the quantum future and we believe that quantum technology will be a game changer in many social and economic sectors – including health, agriculture, climate and safety. To achieve our ambitious goals, we bring together scientists, engineers and industry in an inspiring environment, with plenty of space for ambition, entrepreneurship and innovation.
Our divisions and support teams include 220 FTE and over 300 dedicated people. Today, we are looking for an experienced DevOps Engineer/Software Engineer to join our Software Development Support Team.
Your role as a DevOps Engineer/Software Engineer:
You are part of the Software Development Support Team. Your main goal will be to continuously improve the quality and availability of the software developed at QuTech. As such, you will maintain and further develop QuTech Cloud infrastructure, our public demonstrators and numerous other generic software related services. You will have an advisory role on software development activities within all divisions of QuTech and work in collaboration with various teams to build the future quantum technology infrastructure.
On main responsibilities will be:
- Maintaining and further developing QuTech infrastructure based on amongst others GKE, Terraform, Ansible
- Applying CI/CD to automate the build/release/deploy process
- Maintaining and further develop custom-built software solutions written in Python and using related frameworks as Django/FastAPI/asyncio
- Generating high quality software engineering practices
- Developing training material and give workshops on software engineering
This is a unique and exciting challenge, where you will be able to use your knowledge and experience to help create a new ground-breaking technology.
We are looking for a DevOps Engineer/Software Engineer with:
- At least 4 years’ experience in all aspects of the software development lifecycle in both Linux and Windows environments
- Affinity with maintenance/support; quality and service driven
- Experience with DevOps (tools as GCP / Kubernetes / Terraform / Ansible / Gitlab CI/CD / Docker)
- Fluency in object oriented programming
- Software design methods – e.g. UML and related tools
- Knowledge of code quality measures
- Experience with database management
- Agile/Scrum experience
- Eager and willing to learn
- Team player
- Comfortable to operate in a challenging and constantly changing environment
- Good communication skills, good command of the English language
- In possession of EU passport or working permit
Conditions of employment
The software engineering position is a 0.8 – 1.0 FTE role, with a minimum of 32 hours per week and a maximum of 38 hours per week. This is a project for one year with the option to become structural. The UFO profile is Developer 2, with a full-time salary based on VSNU-CAO scale 11 (salary min 3821 to 5.230 gross per month on a fulltime basis).
On top of that, TU Delft/QuTech offers a great customizable compensation package with a generous holidays (41 days off if you work full time), attractive pension scheme, holiday allowance in May and a 13th month pay (paid as a pro-rata bonus in December). We also offer a discount for health insurance, sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. An International Children’s Centre offers our employees childcare and an international primary school. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (VSNU-CAO).
Your contract will be with Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), an organisation built on strong foundations. As creators of the world-famous Dutch waterworks, and pioneers in biotech, TU Delft is a top international university combining science, engineering and design. It delivers world class results in education, research and innovation.
For generations, our engineers have proven to be entrepreneurial problem-solvers in both business and social contexts. TU Delft offers 16 Bachelor’s and 32 Master’s programs to more than 23,000 students. Our scientific staff consists of 3,500 staff members and 2,800 PhD candidates. Together we imagine, invent and create solutions using technology to ensure positive change on a global scale:
Challenge. Change. Impact!
For information about this position, you can contact Fer Grooteman, Leader of the Software Development Support Team of QuTech at F.J.Grooteman@tudelft.nl.
For questions concerning the procedure, contact our Recruiter Audrey Monje at A.Monje@tudelft.nl.
Please note that we will start the recruitment process as soon as we receive applications.
Get a glimpse of QuTech!
Are you curious about QuTech, our labs where we work on the development of quantum internet and quantum computers or our awesome colleagues? Watch this video and get a glimpse of QuTech!