QuTech is an advanced research center aimed at realizing a quantum computer and quantum networks. It is a joint venture between Delft University of Technology and TNO, located on the campus of Delft University of Technology.
To realize its goals, QuTech is organized into roadmaps, where the roadmap of Quantum Internet and Networked Computing (QINC) is responsible for the goal of quantum networks. Communication networks – connecting a vast number of devices anywhere on earth using classical communication – have had a revolutionary impact on our world. The long term vision of the QINC roadmap is to build and apply fundamentally new network technology by enabling quantum communication between any two points on earth. At short distances, such networks provide a scalable path to building truly large scale quantum computing systems by networking small quantum processors into one big quantum computing cluster. At long distances, a Quantum Internet will – in synergy with the ‘classical’ internet that we have today – connect quantum processors at a distance in order to achieve unparalleled capabilities that are provably impossible using classical communication.
QINC is working on realizing a small scale test network linking both simple quantum equipment capable of enabling cryptographic applications such as secure communication, as well as sophisticated quantum processing devices across several Dutch cities in 2020. It has the technological know-how enabling early stage networks in metropolitan areas such as the Randstad, and the ambition to bring this technology to a practical reality. QINC has an integrated effort at the cutting edge of research and development, spanning quantum hardware and software. It is recognized as a world leader in quantum networking, and leads the European Quantum Internet Alliance (QIA), a team effort of academia and industry across Europe with the long term goals of realizing a large scale quantum internet. QINC is a highly collaborative multi-disciplinary effort involving more than 50 researchers, and engineers from across the world. QINC is a young, ambitious, fast moving team determined to be the first to achieve a technological goal akin to the first moon landing. We are now seeking several software engineers, and one senior software architect to join us in this exciting endeavor.
Software Engineering Positions
You will work in the QINC team to implement software enabling Quantum Internet technology, including the 2020 test network.
- Experience in systems programming (2 years+)
- Experience in programming for embedded systems
- Experience in C and Python (2 years+)
- Experience with network programming (2 years+)
- Degree in computer science, engineering or comparable discipline
- Passionate about advancing communication technologies to entirely new heights
- Comfortable with a rapid prototyping approach to development where research can change requirements from iteration to iteration
- Proactive and able to independently devise solutions
- Team player
- Ambitious and flexible
Senior Software Engineering Position
In addition, we are seeking a senior software engineer who can adopt a leading role in our new software engineering team. In this role, you should bring more years of experience, and in addition experience in software project management including agile project management.
In this position, you will lead software activities within QINC. Your responsibilities include:
- Coordinate the development of key QINC software projects.
- Conduct project management activities across QINC software projects, such as scheduling milestones, tracking progress, aligning work across different projects, communicating with principle investigators in research and engineering, and keep the focus on delivering project commitment.
- Develop and recommend software engineering best practices.
- Ensure training of developers, engineers and researchers in software engineering best practises.
To apply, please fill out this form. Applications will be reviewed initially on February 1. Later applications can be considered until the position is filled. Starting date as soon as possible, negotiable.
Questions about the position can be sent to: Dr. David Elkouss (d.elkousscoronas -at- tudelft.nl)